Thursday, July 14, 2011

SI Final Reflection

It's hard to believe that this is the last day of the summer institute.I have learned so much from Lil, Lacy, Sally and everyone here. Here is what I wrote on the first day of our summer institute (it seems so long ago):

"Well here we go...The first day of the summer institute.As I look at this photograph, I think about this institute with a sense of nervousness, excitement, where do I fit in? Will I fit in? The sense of individuals, a community yet to be built.Even as an adult, it's hard to begin that first day of something new, different."

The community and support that has been built is amazing. The overall lesson that I have learned is from the Purification poem by Wendell Berry. I need to always "be" in the moment. I need to be attentive to the wonders around me. I need to RE-Vision the way I see and do things.

Teacher as Writer

This is how I started out with applying this concept to myself:
"Do I see myself as a writer? This is the question that Megan made me ask myself today in her demo. As I made my list of who is a writer/who is not a writer, I was forced to look at my self-selected writer criteria. My list of Writers included: Amy Tan, Stephanie Meyers and my good friend. I was the only person on my non writer list. In my head, writers are published people that are good at what they do. That was my initial thinking. I don't consider myself a good writer. As I listened to the conversation though, I thought...I do have a blog, I DO post on Facebook, I do write grants and do paperwork. I start everyday with a text/email to my husband since we keep such different schedules. The question posed by someone else...does it have to be habitual? also got me thinking. I do write everyday. But is it WHAT you write everyday that makes you a writer?"

Through Lil, I realized what was holding me back in claiming in the writer identity. During her Grammar discussion, this is what I wrote:
"The grammar discussion really tied it together for me. I thought about my earlier post about my definition of a writer and it hit me. I think that grammar is tied into our identities. People perceive you through your grammar, judge you through your grammar. My fear of grammar is why I do not consider myself a writer."

Through this institute, I have discovered that I AM a writer and I AM claiming it.

Teacher as Inquirer
I think that a teacher is inherently an inquirer--in class and in life. We are always thinking "How can I make this better?What went well?What could I have done early?What if I did this, what would happen?" I know that the summer institute has made me think this way everyday. I want to bring this curiosity and momentum with me into the new school year. I discovered through my inquiry into movtivating students to write for social action:
I Believe
Even in These Dangerously Beautiful Times

I believe in the power of the sun
In the notion that ideas can change the clouds’ formations
A snowflake’s aim and determination
To comfort a lonely, barren mountain peak
I believe in the recklessness of love
The ameliorative benefits of human connection

I sense hope in the certainty of death
Despite the tragedies of senseless ambitions
The citizens shout fire and gas and chains
And the pulpits do not hide their bold intentions
I sense hope in a journey through the birth canal
And in the selfishness of procreation

I hear change in the wind between guitar strings
In verses, in strokes, in midnight proclamations
In parked cars abandoned by hungry, eager feet
In a city street, in a mass amalgamation
I hear change in the measured responses to unanswered questions
Because even the patient have their limitations

- Ernest Morrell

I DO hear change in the measured responses to unanswered questions and want to focus my inquiry on that for this school year.

Teacher as Professional


This is synonymous with collaboration. This is what SI is all about. We are a powerful group of intelligent voices that can make a huge impact by working together. I am thinking now of pursuing teachers as the focus audience of my inquiry...motivating teachers in some way through creating a teacher community within my school, social action with teachers. I will need help from my fellow SI'ers.

I look forward continuing to learn from the National Writing Project and each other.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the Morrell poem, and for connecting with me as a professional, a late-blooming mother, and a lover of bridges :) I also hope to play a role in unifying and motivating a community of teachers. We should keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad we had a chance to work together in our writing group! I'm hoping we can continue to share work from a distance :)

    I can SO relate to what you are saying about fitting in. Isn't it funny how that never changes? Carrie W and I were just talking about that yesterday as we were walking back to our cars!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I connect with you on the grammar issue. It has never been a strong point of mine and I considered, "Where do I fit in here in a group of English teachers." But I soon discovered that was hindering me from learning and growing too. I hope we all stay connected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the poem that you have included her. It has a tone of joyfulness that I see in you. Thank you for being in my writing group! I have enjoyed getting to know you. I know that regardless of where you are (administrator, AF, teacher) you will bring that joy to the situation. I am glad that you see that YOU ARE A WRITER! Claim it and make a part of you in every way! Carpe Diem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "People perceive you through your grammar, judge you through your grammar. My fear of grammar is why I do not consider myself a writer."
    Funny you say this--this fear has really gotten in my way as a teacher/writer and a teacher-teacher! Like you, this institute really helped to open my eyes and create a safe space for writing. We are so lucky to be a part of such an awesome writing learning teaching community to attempt to remove the scary writing stigma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I feel naked without my daybook"...I have shamelessly taken your quote from Katie's blog and posted it here because your words claim my identity. Thank you Melissa, for writing this...in a way, this encapsulates my experience with SI...thank you for your soft ways, your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa,

    Your thinking about grammar and identity is really important. I want to come back to what you are saying.

    Thank you for sharing this Ernest Morrell poem. I will use this for sure!

    I am so glad you got to part of SI this summer!! Can't wait to see what unfolds at WW this year. Should we have a planning playdate in August?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your honesty about your fear of grammar. I'm excited to see how you move forward in your writerly development! :)

    "We are a powerful group of intelligent voices that can make a huge impact by working together." I love this statement--it truly sums up all the work we've done together and how we hope to continue to influence each other, our schools, and education as a whole.

    Thanks for your contribution these two weeks. I feel like your demo about social action really kickstarted our movement to rise up and do something.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete