Monday, July 4, 2011

For a Better World

I came to orientation for the UNCC writing project with a few ideas for an inquiry project when I was immediately drawn to this book, " For a Better World Reading and Writing for Social Action" by Randy and Katherine Bomer. Earlier in the spring, I attended a great session on social action at the Spring Writing conference and this book was on my to-buy list. The introduction about teacher's roles ion the world got me thinking. How can I can expect my students to care about issues and participate in a democratic society if I don't? This is actually what drew me to the writing project in the first place.

The book talks about language being the medium for democracy. The Bomers state that unless everyone's ways with words are accepted into the great conversation, any conception of public dialogue and mutual decision making, is at best, partial and, at worst, illegitimate and unstable. If the voices of the vulnerable are silent, there is no hope of renewal and justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment