Tuesday, July 12, 2011

SI Day 6 Part 1:What is a writer?

Do I see myself as a writer? This is the question that Megan made me ask myself today in her demo. As I made my list of who is a writer/who is not a writer, I was forced to look at my self-selected writer criteria. My list of Writers included: Amy Tan, Stephanie Meyers and my friend, Intisar Hamidullah. I was the only person on my non writer list. In my head, writers are published people that are good at what they do. That was my initial thinking. I don't consider myself a good writer. As I listened to the conversation though, I thought...I do have a blog, I DO post on Facebook, I do write grants and do paperwork. I start everyday with a text/email to my husband since we keep such different schedules. The question posed by someone else...does it have to be habitual? also got me thinking. I do write everyday. But is it WHAT you write everyday that makes you a writer?

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if what you write should be a part of the definition of a writer. Sometimes, I think that you just have to claim the identity and then work hard to meet your own expectations. I do think that you are a writer:) I would have put you on my list of writers! Just claim it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking with you on this. You have a real question here. I am wondering, too. So we have consistency, quality, purpose. How do we think through all of the categories... are some of them more superior than others? And within the categories are some purposes for writing more significant? Does all this come down to how people respond to the identities we try on? So, if I think okay, yeah, I blog with my friends. I'm a writer. Then I get reinforced or dissed, like the identity is a moving thing... hmmm... thinking here.

    ReplyDelete